There are TWO steps to obtain a Marriage License. The first step is to complete the online application, and the second step is come to our office to have the license issued and signed.
PLEASE NOTE: If one or both parties is a Florida Resident, the couple must wait three days before the marriage license becomes effective or take a 4-hour premarital preparation course to waive the three day waiting period.
To Apply Online:
1. Complete the Marriage License Online Application and write down the transaction number.
3. Print and fill out Statement of Compliance Form.
4. Print and fill in (DO NOT sign) the Affirmation of Common Children Born in Florida Form ONLY IF applicants have a minor child together that was born in the state of Florida.
5. Appointments Recommended: Make an Appointment.
NOTE: The Marriage License Online Application is valid for 30 days. After 30 days, applications are purged and you would have to apply again online.
Requirements for Applicants:
1. Appear in person in our office at the appointment time for the issuance of the marriage license.
2. Bring photo identification showing your name and date of birth, such as a U.S. Driver’s License, U.S. State Identification Card, Military ID, Passport, Matricular ID Card, Foreign Passport, or U.S. Permanent Resident Card. Birth Certificates are not acceptable forms of ID.
3. Bring Social Security number (U.S. Citizens).
4. Applicants must be at least 18 years old. For applicants under 18, visit our FAQ section.
NOTE: A marriage license may be obtained from any county in the State of Florida (regardless of where you live), and can only be used to be married within the State of Florida.
Waiting Period and Discounted License:
There is a 3-day waiting period before Florida residents can use the marriage license to get married. The 3-day waiting period starts once the actual license is issued by the Clerk's office. The waiting period can be waived if both applicants have completed a counseling course with an approved Pre-Marital Course Provider. There is no waiting period for non-Florida residents, but if the couple has one Florida resident, the waiting period applies.
NOTE: Marriage license is only valid for 60 days from license effective date.
All area Marital Course Providers must be registered with the Clerk, for providers that wish to register with the Clerk, view Instructions on How to Register.
Couple must possess a valid Florida Marriage License to have a ceremony performed in our office.
1. Schedule an appointment for your Marriage Ceremony. You will be asked to provide:
- Both names of the couple getting married
- Both telephone numbers
- Marriage License Transaction number (if Lee County Clerk's Office issued the marriage license)
2. Arrive at the Fort Myers Recording Office at the scheduled time:
- Each party will be required to present their identification to the clerk.
- A fee of $30.00 will be collected.
3. Couple will receive a receipt and a certified copy of their signed marriage license.
Copies and Certified Copies of Marriage Licenses:
If your license was obtained in another county or state, you must search the records in that county or state.
For more information, please call 239-533-5007.