|You are requesting a name change less than one year after your passport was issued||
Submit the following by mail:
Please note: You will not have to submit any fees unless you request Expedited Service.
|You are requesting the change more than one year after your passport was issued|| If you are eligible to use Form DS-82*, submit the following by mail:
If you are not eligible to use Form DS-82*, submit the following in person at an acceptance facility or a passport agency (restrictions apply):
Please note: You do not need to submit proof of the name change if your name has changed due to marriage and you present an ID issued in your new name. You must include the details of the marriage in the appropriate section on Form DS-11.
|You are already using a different name but cannot document the change with a court order, divorce decree, or marriage certificate||Submit the following in person at an acceptance facility or a passport agency (restrictions apply):|
- Is submitted with your application
- Is undamaged (other than normal "wear and tear")
- Was issued when you were age 16 or older
- Was issued within the last 15 years
- Was issued in your current name (or you can document your name change with an original or certified copy of your marriage certificate or court order)
To check the status of your passport application call 877-487-2778 from 6 a.m. - Midnight, Monday through Friday (excluding federal holidays), or visit the Application Status website.