IF YOU FEEL YOU ARE IN IMMEDIATE DANGER, DIAL 911!
Domestic Violence documents can be filled out using TurboCourt interactive forms. TurboCourt makes the task of filling out forms easier to understand and helps you get it right the first time. Once you have completed filling out your forms you can eFile them at no coast or print the forms and bring them to the Domestic Violence office located in the Justice Center on the 3rd floor.
Domestic Violence includes any aggravated assault, battery, aggravated battery, sexual assault, sexual battery, stalking, aggravated stalking or any criminal offense resulting in a physical injury or death of one of the family or household members by another who is or was residing in the same single dwelling unit.
Victims of abuse have the right to file an injunction against their alleged abuser.
Repeat Violence means two incidents of violence or stalking committed by the respondent, one of which must have been within six months of the filing of the petition which are directed against the petitioner or petitioner's family.
Violence means assault, aggravated assault, battery, aggravated battery, sexual assault, sexual battery, stalking, aggravated stalking, kidnapping or false imprisonment or any criminal offense resulting in physical injury or death.
Dating Violence means violence between individuals who have or have had a continuing and significant relationship of a romantic or intimate nature. The existence of such a relationship will be based on these factors:
- A dating relationship must have existed within the past six months;
- The nature of the relationship must have been characterized by the expectation of affection or sexual involvement between the parties; and
- The frequency and type of interaction between the persons involved in the relationship must have included that the persons have been involved over time and on a continuous basis during the course of the relationship. This does not include violence in a casual acquaintanceship or violence between individuals who only have engaged in ordinary fraternization in a business or social context.
Sexual Violence means any one incident of:
- Sexual battery as defined in Chapter 794;
- A lewd or lascivious act, as defined in Chapter 800, committed upon or in the presence of a person younger than 16 years of age;
- Luring or enticing a child, as described in Chapter 787;
- Sexual performance by a child, as described in Chapter 827; or
- Any other forcible felony wherein a sexual act is committed or attempted, regardless of whether criminal charges based on the incident were filed, reduced, or dismissed by the State Attorney.
Stalking Violence means any one incident as listed below has occurred between individuals:
- "Harass" means to engage in a course of conduct directed at a specific person which causes substantial emotional distress to that person and serves no legitimate purpose.
- A pattern of conduct composed of a series of acts over a period of time.
- A verbal or nonverbal threat, or a combination of the two, including threats received by electronic communication or implied by a pattern of conduct, which places the person who is the target of the threat in reasonable fear for his/her safety.
- "Cyberstalk" means to engage in a course of conduct to communicate, or to cause to be communicated, words, images, or language by or through the use of electronic mail or electronic communication, directed at a specific person, causing substantial emotional distress to that person and serving no legitimate purpose.